#44 Tour the Huron Lightship & Fort Gratiot Lighthouse
Location: 800 Prospect Place, Port Huron MI, 48060
The Huron Lightship was the last operating lightship on the Great Lakes, and served for over 50 years when she was retired in 1970. For 36 of those years, she was stationed at Corsica Shoals, a sandy area 6 miles north of Port Huron. She was permanently moored in sand, along the banks of the St. Clair River in scenic Pine Grove Park, Port Huron, MI. There is an extensive collection of artifacts, including many model ships, as well as a live camera feed of the bottom of the river, taken off a camera positioned at the bow. It was dedicated in 1990 as a National Historic Landmark.
Climb to the top of the tower for an awesome view of Lake Huron and the majestic Blue Water Bridges. After extensive renovation, the lighthouse tower is open for public viewing and climbing. Along with the restoration of the lighthouse tower, a splendid gift shop has been added as well as artifacts display. The Fort Gratiot Lighthouse, built in 1825 and rebuilt in 1829 and 1861, was the first lighthouse on Lake Huron and is the oldest working lighthouse in Michigan.